Sunday, April 6, 2008

New president of the church

What a wonderful weekend we have had! It was General Conference weekend. And for those who don't know what General Conference is, it takes place the first weekend each April and the first weekend each October. There are four general sessions that happen where we get to hear the Prophet, Apostles and leaders of our church speak to us. Micah and I get very excited each time conference weekend rolls around, but this one was even more exciting. We were able to participate in raising our right arm to the square to sustain Thomas Spencer Monson as the 16th president of the church in this dispensation. It was a remarkable experience and one that we will remember and cherish forever.
I remember hearing Elder Monson speaking when I was a lot younger and thinking to myself, "one day he will be the prophet". So it was wonderful to be able to be here and see this day come to pass. We know that President Monson is a true prophet and was indeed called of God and has been prepared for his special calling for many years. This reality was re-affirmed today as we sat and heard this wonderful man speak and bear witness of God the Father and Jesus Christ whom he knows so personally. It was a wonderful experience, one that allowed our testimonies to grow.
We also wanted to share a picture of the new First Presidency of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. President Thomas S. Monson as President of the church (center), President Henry B. Eyring as his First Counselor (left), and President Dieter F. Uchtdorf as his Second Counselor (right).




2 comments:

The Prices said...

I love that picture. It is great to hear people express how much they love conference. I am so glad that I have dish network now with DVR. I recorded all the sessions so that I can watch them again without interruptions from my kids!By the way...Happy Birthday Holly--tomorrow is your birthday, right??

Kimberly Porter said...

I loved the solemn assembly as well. I cried whenever Ryan or I stood up. :) The spirit was so strong!