Thursday, October 30, 2008

"Billy the Bat" ~ Pumpkin Carving with the Grays!!

Carving pumpkins has always been a "tradition" for me in my family! And the first Halloween Micah and I were married we carved a pumpkin and then last year we did not, because he was still in Alaska. So, this year I thought it would be fun to bring in the pumpkin carving tradition!

So, we went to Kroger Monday night before coming home and got a really nice pumpkin (that had already been marked down to 50% off ~ so of course, we were excited about that deal!). We had a nice Family Home Evening and then for our activity we carved our cute little pumpkin!

We had jobs, so that we could get through the whole process. Micah marked and cut the top off, I cleaned out the pumpkin! My parents let us use a great pumpkin pattern book, so we looked through it and decided to go for a bat design! Then we situated the pattern on the pumpkin and began to make our marks! Then Micah took over for the intricate detail of carving! And of course what pumpkin really feels like a pumpkin without a name....so we thought about it and thought about it and decided to have "Billy the Bat" join our family for the week!

Here are a few pictures and we hope you are all having a very Happy Halloween today!! Be safe if you are trick-or-treating tonight and have fun if you are the people handing out the candy tonight, like us:)

Who knew it required SO MANY TOOLS to carve a pumpkin?

(Next year with our little Emily at our heals I am sure we will simplify!!)


Here I am starting to get covered in the Pumpkin Goop!

Micah, being the detail-oriented man that he is, LOVED this part of the project!!

Introducing "Billy the Bat" in all of his Halloween Glory!

Family Photo with our newest addition, Billy the Bat!!

4 comments:

Lexie said...

Impressive Bat, way to go you guys!

Crystal said...

LOVE IT! We did a carve and peel pumpkin this year too! It is worth the effort because we love looking at it glowing! When is the shower from your mom, holly? I lost the invitation in a massive stack of hospital bills ;-)

Lauren Wright Swinson said...

The bat is too cute. Good job you guys!

Rebecca said...

Well you know I have the same pumpkin carving tradition (which I think we may have actually kind of started together many many years ago;)) so I was excited to get to see your and Micah's creation!!!

Timmy has been working evenings this past week so we ran out of time to do a pumpkin this year so at least I got to live vicariously through you;)