Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Storing Food

I know you are probably thinking didn't they just post an entry yesterday afternoon?? And the answer is, "Yes, we did." But I felt impressed to record another entry today for a specific reason ~ the importance of having Food Storage.

Last night Micah and I were privileged to be able to go with Mommers and Dooders down to our dear friends, Bob and Vonda's home, to see their food storage warehouse that they have set up. We were so impressed ~ they have a ton of food storage items ~ everything from flour to dehydrated peanut butter to baking powder to beans and much much more! We were so amazed!! If you want you can take a look at their website, East Coast Food Storage.


Food Storage is always something that Micah and I have known that we need to plan and prepare to have, but it wasn't until just after this last General Conference that he started to think more about it. With the current situation of our economy and with it being a big presidential election year, it can be a little scary to contemplate at times. With these thoughts on the forefront of his mind (and preparing to welcome our first child into this world) he suggested that we start getting a little more serious about our food storage. And we thought yesterday would be the perfect opportunity ~ so we called up mom and Keith and shared our thoughts with them and they were willing and ready to make the trip down with us for a Family Home Evening Activity!! And we are so grateful that they did! We were talking about it on the way home and we both agreed that we probably have 6-12 months of food storage in our crawl space now, so that is a very reassuring reality. We may never need it for emergency purposes, but then again we just might!

There is one more website that is a great resource for any part of the food storage process that you may be on: providentliving.org. There are talks and quotes about food and financial storage that are very beneficial and helpful for everyone, no matter what step of the process we may be at in our own families.

I have a testimony of the importance of food storage. I know that allowing for it in our monthly budget is a principle that if we heed will bless us in more ways than we can count.

Comment from Micah: If you live in Charlottesville, I highly recommend East Coast Food Storage. Getting food storage has never been so easy.

5 comments:

Keith-n-Kim said...

Great Promo piece. Bob and Vonda and any who go see what they have will appreciate it. Love you....dad

Anonymous said...

Great advice, Holly. There is such comfort that comes from being prepared. Thanks for the excellent reminder!

amy said...

When I lived in Germany I saw some farm/village families preserve what they had. They canned all kinds of fruit(cherry or plum compote) to save for the winter, and I've recently started canning again (like my mom did). Some of my friends had a cool deep stone cellar that would probably hold a potato all winter. I love helping my friends around deer season process all the meat they get from hunting. Doing it together makes it fun and sort of family oriented, and eating what I preserve myself seems more natural, healthier and tastier to me. Sometimes food storage freaks me out because it reminds me of "bad things" that could happen, and I don't want to live under unnecessary fear or anxiety all the time. (Maybe I had to watch too many holocaust movies as a teenager.) Of course my beliefs about food storage don't come from a religious perspective, I don't think, more cultural I guess.

Arielle said...

We just started our food storage too. Very slowly, but we started it nonetheless. Maybe one day our unfinished basement will be like a grocery store. My parents have shelves and shelves of food in the basement and a full size freezer and fridge. We used to fake grocery shop down there when we were little.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great FHE idea. Thanks for the tip about this place. I'll check them out.