Friday, May 15, 2009

It's Official.....Emily has become a Thumb Sucker!

When Emily was first born one of the first things we noticed was that she seemed to enjoy sucking her thumb!

But by about day 2 of her life she didn't do it much any more, only once in a while. So Micah and I thought it might be an easy habit to break. And we were doing pretty good for a few months. But then one morning about a month ago I went in to check on her (because she was sleeping so late) and this is what I found.....


So, Micah and I discussed it a little more and decided we would still do our best to help distract her from her thumb....we even bought a pacifier (which she does NOT enjoy, by the way!). She is such a cutie, she tries to be so quiet and discreet when she sucks her thumb, but when she is really tired or upset (which usually go hand in hand) she gets really loud and it truly sounds like she is going to suck her whole hand down her throat!

We had her in her excersaucer...which she LOVES (Thanks Jessie D.).....one evening while we were doing a little cleaning up in the kitchen and I was just talking to her and all of a sudden she was really quiet and I looked down to check her out and this is what I saw.....


And since then she has pretty much been consistently sucking her thumb. She doesn't do it all day, usually when she is hungry or sleepy and sometimes when she is mad. But Micah and I talked about it again and decided that we are not going to promote her thumb sucking habit, but if she feels she needs to suck her thumb then we are going to let her. I know it is a habit that may be hard to break in the future, but right now it is too much for me to handle, to continue taking her thumb out when it seems to give her so much comfort. Every baby has to have a "security blanket" and if her thumb is hers, then so be it.


These next few pictures were taken a few days ago of our little thumb sucker....she looks so peaceful and content.


Emily has been SLEEPING lately at night. She will go to bed around 8:30pm (although sometimes she doesn't fall asleep until 9) and sleeping until anywhere between 7 and 10:30am the next morning! What a champ! This was one of the first mornings that she had slept that long....I wonder why?



This was taken on Tuesday at Mommers and Dooders' house. I had put her in her stroller to try to get her to take her nap, but the constant strolling didn't put her to sleep, no, not until she found her new best friend....her thumb!


Here's a close-up. I thought she looked so adorable in her sun hat that day!



And here is a video

4 comments:

Ellie said...

Oh, that is too cute! I guess that will be a hard habit to break but she'll have comfort right there whenever she needs it. And it just looks so sweet! I wished one of the kids had latched on to some kind of "lovey." Of course, Emma had her pacifier WAY too long but never a favorite stuffed animal or blanket. I took Luke's paci away at 6 months~ I didn't want to go through what we did with Emma but he never picked up a favorite thing either. I had a blankie and a stuffed elephant I loved:)

Ruth said...

I used to suck my finger. I didn't stop til I was 3 or 4. I don't think I've suffered any lasting bad effects. So, I wouldn't worry too much about Emily sucking her thumb.

Emily said...

She is seriously so cute! It is hard to stop them from doing something so cute!!!

Kimberly Porter said...

I was happy Nate sucked his thumb. Josh didn't and whenever he woke up at night, I'd have to find his binky and put it back in his mouth for him. This is much more convenient, I promise.

I was also a thumb-sucker until about age 5. No lasting effects here, either. And it was only while I slept. No harm, no fowl.